Has your doctor said that you have a high risk of heart disease?
If so, you may be able to take part in a clinical research study. We are currently recruiting patients for a clinical research study looking at a concentrate of omega-3 free fatty acids to see whether it can help to decrease the risk of serious heart problems in people with high blood triglycerides (a type of fat in the blood that can raise your risk of heart disease) and low levels of high-density lipoprotein-cholesterol (HDL-C; the “good” cholesterol). If you take part, you will be asked to take either the concentrate of omega-3 free fatty acids (made from fish oil) or a placebo, which contains corn oil, once a day for 3–5 years.
You may be able to take part in the STRENGTH Trial if you:
- Are 18 years of age or older
- Take a statin medication but still have high triglyceride levels
- Have at least one risk factor for heart disease, such as:
- A history of heart problems or stroke
- Type 1 or 2 diabetes
- High blood pressure or taking a blood pressure medication
- Being a regular smoker.